Full Protective Outer Gear
Full Protective Outer Gear
This section has information about protective gear other than helmets. For helmet information go to Gear: Motorcycle Helmets. For the research on full protective outer gear and helmets go to Research.
AVOID SKINNING YOURSELF ALIVE BY WEARING PROTECTIVE GEAR
- Personal Protective Gear for the Motorcyclist: The Motorcycle Safety Foundation (MSF), as part of its Cycle Safety Information series, produced this four-page document describing all aspects of head-to-toe riding gear and protective apparel in varying weather conditions.
- Fool’s Gear vs. Cool Gear Video: A takeoff on the iconic poster at right, and linked below, this 2:16 MSF video takes a head-to-toe tour that compares fool’s gear to cool, protective gear and concludes that “Fool’s gear identifies a rider who’s unaware of the risks or doesn’t take motorcycling seriously.”
- Fool’s Gear vs. Cool Gear Poster: A pdf version of the image.
- Comparing Motorcycle Riding Gear: A textiles-versus-leathers analysis by Robyn Smith, originally posted on the UK-based site formerly known as “Best Motorcycle Information”.
- Protective Equipment for Riders: This 16-page booklet produced by the European Safer Urban Motorcycling (eSUM) Project offers clear guidelines on how to choose personal protective equipment and shows the evidence-based benefits of wearing jackets, trousers, footwear, gloves, and head and face protection.
- MotoCAP, or the Motorcycle Clothing Assessment Program, is a consumer information program designed to provide riders with scientifically-based information on the relative protection and comfort on a range of motorcycle protective jackets, pants and gloves available in Australia and New Zealand (many tested products are available worldwide). MotoCAP’s aim is to empower motorcyclists to choose the right gear that provides them with the best protection and comfort for their ride. The right gear can greatly reduce the likelihood of permanent injuries from a crash and shorten hospital recovery times. This paper describes the Development the Motorcycle Clothing Assessment Program known as MotoCAP.
- Gear Up for Every Ride: An alliance that has come together to act as a force for change in the motorcycling community. The campaign is sponsored by the Motorcycle Industry Council. The goal of the campaign is to inspire a fundamental shift in the way riders think about their gear and to make educated decisions about the gear they wear when they ride.
- Rock the Gear: Up-to-date information on all the latest technologies in protective apparel, with links to new articles from industry wide sources, and passionate support for wearing all the gear all the time.
- Cycle Sports Radio host Patrick Harris discusses motorcycle-specific gear with Brittany Morrow, CEO and founder of Rock the Gear, who knows firsthand the devastating consequences of not wearing proper gear and crashing; view this hour-long video where the two discuss head-to-toe (helmet-to-boots) gear options, the myths about gear, and the reality of what it does to help save your life.